Recognising the Signs
If the answer is ‘yes’ to more than 10 points on the checklist below, it could be indicative of RRS. We would suggest an Initial Consultation, with no further obligation, to see whether we can help you through the Mulhall Integration Programme.
Pregnancy Birth & Infancy
Were there any medical problems or major stresses during pregnancy such as a threatened miscarriage, bereavement, moving house, heavy workload, illness, accident, working to term?
Was the child born more than two weeks early or two weeks late?
Was labour either very quick or very drawn out?
Was the birth complicated in any way? A forceps, Caesarean or ventouse delivery?
Were there any other problems at birth, eg, with breathing, cord around the neck, blue baby, bruising, jaundice, mis-shapen head?
Did you weigh less than 5lbs at birth?
Did you experience projectile vomiting and screaming sessions during the first three months of life?
Any other feeding problems in the first six months?
Was there any delay in learning to walk (older than 18 months)? Or did you walk early (before 14 months), missing out or having a very brief crawling stage?
In the first 18 months did you suffer from any illness involving high fever, delirium or convulsions?
Any serious illnesses before age 5?
Did you have little one-to-one stimulation and opportunity to move around freely in the first year or two?
- Is there any family history of learning disorders – a dyslexic or dyspraxic parent, grandparent, uncle or aunt?
- In the first 8-10 years, were you troubled by frequent ear, nose and throat problems, colds, sinus infections or bronchitis.
- Continue to suck a finger or thumb until age 5 or over?
- Have difficulty in learning to button clothes or tie shoelaces?
- Complain about pains in the legs or have a tendency to walk on tiptoe?
- Wet the bed at 5 years or over?
- Around the ages of 12-13 were there any complaints of eye discomfort after prolonged reading or study?
- Do you have a disturbed sense of spatial orientation or have trouble telling left from right?
- Have there been any problems with speech?
- Are there subtle speech problems that only show up when you're tired?
- Do you mix up words and have to concentrate on what to say?
Schooling & Behaviour
- Experience any difficulties learning to read?
- Have difficulty learning to write, or prefer printed to cursive script?
- Do well when first learning to read but later begin to avoid reading?
- Do well initially at writing but develop poorly? Avoid tasks that involve writing?
- Have difficulty learning to tell the time and read the clock?
- Have difficulty in catching a ball and with ball sports?
- Have a short attention span, have trouble concentrating or need frequent breaks from schoolwork or homework?
- Have difficulty telling left from right when following/giving directions?
- Have difficulty following a set of several instructions?
- Find bright light disturbing?
- Find noise difficult to tolerate?
- React dramatically to sudden loud noises?
- Get confused in a group situation (eg when friends are talking at the same time), causing stress and anxiety?
- Fidget with hands/feet or squirm in your seat?
- Seem not to listen to what you say?
- Often lose things at home or at school?
- Have difficulty completing tasks or following up on instructions?
- Frequently interrupt or butt into other children’s games